Friday, January 15, 2010

Developing a new habit

I'm glad to be able to say that I'm developing a new habit. I always have been reluctant to read, no matter how small the book was!
Now I got excited about a book called Increasing your financial IQ by Robert Kiyosaki. It's a very good book about managing your money and I'm learning a lot from it.
The point here is that even if I was not the best fan of reading, I told myself that I will be reading one chapter everyday. I started only two weeks ago (I took a break due to New Year's eve celebration that went on longer) but even with that break I'm already wrapping up the book and tomorrow I'll be starting the last chapter.

I heard Brian Tracy said that we can develop new habits and for me I would never have thought I could. Now I know I can commit myself to read a book, obviously when if the book strikes my interest, it's easier but still, I'm sure I can do it with any book now. Plus, what amazes me is that I'm not trying to see how many pages are left in the chapter. I was doing it at first to manage my time, but now I don't. Today I read 28 pages straight without knowing it was done until I saw the last page of the chapter. "One small step for a man, a big step for the humanity..." Wasn't it something like that said by Neil Armstrong? That's how I feel about myself... a little step for anybody but a big step for me!

Like my friend advised me not too long ago (as I wrote in a previous post), reading a little bit at a time and not be distracted by another book is working really well for me. Plus, even with the long break that I took and some days where I just couldn't read, I'm amazed of how fast it's been and how excited I'm still about the book.

As Jim Rohn said in one of his successful talks, "we have to take actions when the emotions are high!" For me it's working really well. And the best part is that I don't beat myself up anymore for not reading all the other books I want to read. i'll do it when my emotion and focus will be on those books and one at the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment